David: A Man of Passion & Destiny by Chuck Swindoll
1 Samuel 16
How God Chooses
1. God has chosen nobodies to turn them into somebodies.
2. God's choice of a person is contrary to human reason.
3. God is concerned about the heart-a heart that is truly His.
"For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance,but the LORD looks on the heart." (1 Sam 16:7) "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His." (2 Chron 16:9)
1. Spirtuality-David had a heart after God's heart, senstive to the things of God.
2. Humility-David had a servant's heart.
3. Integrity-Honest to the core, even when no one's looking.
God's Method of Training
2. Obscurity-being faithful in the little things (unseen, unappreciated, unknown, unapplauded)
3. Monotony-being faithful in menial, daily tasks
In the little things we prove ourselves capable for the big things. When God develops inner qualities He is never in a hurry.
1. God's solutions are often strange and simple.
2. God's promotions are often sudden and surprising.
3. God's selections are always sovereign and sure.
Let God open the door-don't try to manipulate. David's gift of music brought him into the presence of the king. You'll be beloved when you minister to people.
1 Samuel 17
1. Doing battle is an intimidating experience.
2. Doing battle is a lonely experience.
3. Trusting God is a stabilizing experience.
4. Winning victories is a memorable experience.
David's secret was knowing that the battle was not his, but the Lord's. He had nothing to prove and nothing to lose. He would not win because of his strength, but because of God's omnipotence.
2 Samuel 7
David's dream and desire was to build a temple, a permanent dwelling place for the LORD. He was full of peace and his counsel said go for it!
"Now when the king lived in his house and the LORD had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, the king said to Nathan the prophet, "See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent." And Nathan said to the king,"Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you." (2 Samuel 7:1-3)
"But the LORD said to David my father, 'Whereas it was in your heart to build a house for my name, you did well that it was in your heart. Nevertheless, it is not you who shall build the house, but your son who shall be born to you shall build the house for my name." (2 Chronicles 6:8)
(some are directly from the mouth of Chuck Swindoll):
1. Just because you're at peace with something, doesn't mean it's of God.
2. Godly counsel, although wise and well intentioned, can sometimes tell you to "yes" when God is saying "no".
3. Your desire may be a good desire, but it doesn't mean it's God's will for you.
4. When God says NO-it does not mean punishment or rejection but redirection, he has another way or another plan.
5. Our response to a broken dream should be cooperation and humility.