Saturday, February 20, 2010

Choose the Good Portion

I love reading and learning about the women in the bible. I love their absolute devotion and loyalty to Jesus. I can remember reading through the gospel of Luke for the first time and getting to this story. It is one that is probably all too familiar to many, but still meaningful and powerful. This story means so much to me and I often keep it in my heart as a reminder to what should be most important in my life . . . the main thing . . . the good portion.

“Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42

I love the lesson behind this, and I am again reminded how important it is to sit at the LORD’s feet and listen to His teaching. I have been sick for nearly 3 days, no work, no bible study in the mornings, no running this errand, going to this meeting, preparing this meal, etc. Again, the LORD wastes nothing and reminds me that serving is good, but don’t let it distract you from the main thing-your personal, intimate relationship with the LORD Jesus Christ.

I love being a woman, and part of the reason why is because when you need something done, you can call on a woman to do it! We are quick to help, quick to serve, eager to sign up for this ministry, etc. Yet, sometimes in the midst of that, we get lost in the “serving”, or as the passage says “distracted” by the serving, not choosing the good portion. I hope that we’ll remember WHO we serve when we’re serving, that our service is an overflow of our time sitting at Jesus’ feet, listening to His teaching. Let’s not let our serving distract us, but merely be an act of obedience, our response of thanksgiving, love, and loyalty to our God. Mary of Bethany is an example for us, a reminder to choose the Good Portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment