Monday, March 15, 2010

Scripture 4

Our Dwelling Place

"Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God."
(Psalm 90:1-2 ESV)

What a great verse to remember HE is the place we dwell (take up residence, reside). I went to look up the word dwell on dictionary.com (oh how I wish I was more spiritual to say I was looking up it's original meaning in Greek or something, but no, just plain ol' dictionary) and I found this at the bottom of the page:

Dwell
God "dwells in light" (1 Tim. 6:16; 1 John 1:7), in heaven (Ps. 123:1), in his church (Ps. 9:11; 1 John 4:12). Christ dwelt on earth in the days of his humiliation (John 1:14). He now dwells in the hearts of his people (Eph. 3:17-19). The Holy Spirit dwells in believers (1 Cor. 3:16; 2 Tim. 1:14). We are exhorted to "let the word of God dwell in us richly" (Col. 3:16; Ps. 119:11). Dwell deep occurs only in Jer. 49:8, and refers to the custom of seeking refuge from impending danger, in retiring to the recesses of rocks and caverns, or to remote places in the desert.

Dwell in Him . . .

"There is none like God, O Jeshurun, who rides through the heavens to your help, through the skies in his majesty. The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. And he thrust out the enemy before you and said, Destroy."(Deuteronomy 33:26-27 ESV)

"O send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me; let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your dwelling places. Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; and upon the lyre I shall praise You, O God, my God.” (Psalm 43:3-4 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment