Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scripture 12

Workmanship & Works
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)

So, I decided to give painting a try this summer, as a new hobby . . . trying to do something totally different, since my idea of fun is usually organizing or studying! And let me just tell you, I have a hard time painting! I’ve really had a hard time mixing the colors, not doing it perfect, and being “free” as my art teacher tells me! Oh it’s almost embarrassing to admit just how rigid I’ve become. She actually had to tell me “Melissa, the police aren’t going to come and arrest if the colors aren’t perfect”! So needless to say, these lessons have been SO good for me. Painting has been really fun, relaxing, peaceful, and different. I really respect and admire those of you that have artistic ability.

After Brad’s sermon a few weeks ago in James 2 on “faith and works” and these painting lessons this summer, I thought this would be the perfect verse to memorize!

I like this verse for two reasons, “His workmanship” and "good works". Through my very little painting experience, I’ve realized that as the artist you get to start with a blank canvas and make it all your own! So, if He is the artist, I am His workmanship, his blank canvas. The LORD is the one planning the portrait, mixing the colors, and making the strokes. So I’ve been asking the LORD “am I allowing you to paint the picture of my life the way you want it to be? Am I allowing you to make me into the woman you want me to be? Or am I trying to grab the brush and paint the picture that I wanted??? Using the colors I like, the way I want, etc.”

The other reason I like this verse is because of the “good works” part. James 2:14 says “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?” I’ve been asking the LORD if I’m living a life of love in response to the grace He’s shown me? Does my faith show itself in works? I’ve also been asking the LORD about the “good works” He’s created me for. What are they? Am I walking in them?

I love how the LORD has used that sermon a few weeks ago and my new painting hobby to bring me to Him in prayer over my life . . . my canvas . . . my works . . . and His plan for me. So, as I memorize this verse, I am trusting Him as the artist, and asking Him to reveal to me what good works He has for me to do. I can’t wait to see the “finished work” . . . with Him . . . in glory!

“I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” (Psalm 139:14)

And just for fun . . . here’s some of my “original” works from this summer. I'm not the best photographer either, so sorry about that! Can’t quit my day job just yet . . .









No comments:

Post a Comment