Saturday, March 5, 2011

Green Pastures

“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” (Psalm 23:1-3)



Last week I heard a short commercial on the radio from Proverbs 31 Ministries about Psalm 23 . . . a familiar passage I know. When something is familiar, we often overlook the significance and implication on our life because we “already know” that scripture.

My commentary mentions that this Psalm is usually classified as a psalm of confidence in the Lord’s care. (Lord as Shepherd who cares for the sheep and Lord of Host who cares for His guests).

The LORD is my shepherd . . .
Just as a shepherd cares for his sheep, so the Lord cares for his people, providing for their needs, guiding them, and protecting them.

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
Green pastures and still waters are peaceful places of rest and feeding.

I usually take Saturday mornings and refresh in God’s word, prayer, and worship. Last Saturday was full with people and fun things, all of which are good, but I missed out in time of restoration with the LORD. I felt exhausted all week, longing for rest and refreshment.

The thought of green pastures kept coming to mind. I asked myself what are my “green pastures”? Where do I go for peaceful places of rest and feeding? If I’m honest, I know it’s not always to the LORD. Nothing feeds and refreshes me like true times of Sabbath, where I rest in Him. He will provide my every need, one that feeds me and nourishes my soul.

Wanting to linger in green pastures . . . beside still waters more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment