Monday, April 11, 2011

Thanksgiving in Spring

No, not the turkey and stuffing type of Thanksgiving, the lowercase “t” thanksgiving . . . as in gratitude.

My students have formed this awful habit where every time I ask them to do something (okay maybe not every time), they whine and complain. So, I decided to share this passage with one of my students:

“Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world” (Philippians 2:14-15)

As we were reading this verse, I felt terribly convicted over my own grumbling. I am called to do all things without grumbling or asking why as part of my witness to others, it’s how my light shines! I realized (again), here I am trying to teach my kids a lesson all the while God is using them to teach me.

It is one thing to go through trials; it’s a whole other thing to go through trials grumbling! Life happens, things get tough. Even in the midst of it all, my light is still supposed to shine.

BIG reality check, my attitude was not an “attitude of gratitude”, it was an attitude of grumbling. I realized that lately there was much more grumbling coming out of my mouth than thanksgiving. Here I am going through trials, praying about them, and then grumbling.

Do you notice a common word/theme in passages about prayer?

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (Philippians 4:6)

“Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.” (Colossians 4:2)

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16)

So in these circumstances that have me on my knees in prayer, I am supposed to have an attitude of thanksgiving, not grumbling?

This was stirring in my heart and then I read the most inspiring blog about gratitude here {www.aholyexperience.com}.

Confirmed . . . tomorrow begins a new time of being intentional about giving thanks. A new season of Thanksgiving . . .

Thanksgiving in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment