Saturday, November 19, 2011

It's Never Enough

I constantly feel like I can never do enough.
I constantly feel that I’ve missed the mark.
I constantly feel like I’m in the wrong place, wrong job, wrong neighborhood.
I contantly feel like I’m stifling gifts the LORD’s given me or I’m not using them to my fullest capability.

Not to earn God’s love, but in response to it.

Why? Is that normal?
To always feel like you need to do more? You’ve missed the mark?

To think . . .
If I could only foster/adopt all the starving and abused children in this town, then I’d be doing what God wants of me.
If I had people living with me who needed a place to stay, then I wouldn’t feel so guilty about having a 3 bedroom home.
If I could only write a bible study for new Christians, then I could encourage others in the LORD.
If I could only grab that microphone at the stadium and tell my redemption story and share about Jesus, then I would be proclaiming the gospel!

I don’t know why I constantly feel like I’m never doing enough. I’m not faithful enough. I’m not generous enough. I don’t proclaim the gospel enough.

And in the name of enough I don’t listen to the Spirit of God who says enough is enough.
I haven’t asked you to do it all.
I have asked to trust.
To abide.
To obey.
To rest.
To put on His yoke, for it’s easy and light.
To love out of an overflow and to continually seek wisdom and guidance from the Good Shepherd.

So then where does this message of you’re not doing enough come from?
The pit. The Father of Lies. My sin. My pride.
Keeping my eyes focused on the wrong thing . . .
The path, not the Shepherd.
The thirst, not the Fountain.
The hunger, not the Bread.
The circumstance, not the Sovereign
.

I recognize my sin of not doing enough is actually pride, that His “will be done” is actually dependent upon me. When I constantly feel the need to do things for God, I miss the point. I’m thinking that He needs my help, He needs me to do ___, because after all, if I don’t do it, who will?

Guess what? If I don’t do it, God is still God. His purpose still stands, His will be done. When I feel the need to do activity for God I miss finding rest in Him.

After all, God never speaks to us words of guilt, fear, demand, more. Isn’t it just like the enemy to make us feel guilty when we walk in abundance of blessing and joy? Isn’t it just like the enemy to rob me of my peace and delight, and replace it with doubt, fear, and guilt?? I guess if the enemy can’t confuse me about God’s love, He’ll make me feel guilty for having it.

So when I believe the lie If only I disciple more people, took meals to more people, prayed for more people, etc. I’ll remember this truth: the message of the gospel wasn’t do more. . . it was rest.
Rest in Him.
His promise.
His truth.
For His burden is easy and light.

"I accomplish more when I rest wholly in the labor of Jesus than I do when I frantically try to do the work for Him." AW Tozer

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10:10)

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment