Monday, July 30, 2012

Book of the Week: Counterfeit Gods

Want to read along with me?



"What is an idol? It is anything more important to you than God, anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God, anything you seek to give you what only God can give."

"A counterfeit god is anything so central and essential to your life that, should you lose it, your life would feel hardly worth living. An idol has such a controlling position in your heart that you can spend most of your passion and energy, your emotional and financial resources, on it without a second thought."

"If I have that, then I'll feel my life has meaning, then I'll know I have value, then I'll feel significant and secure."

"If anything becomes more fundamental than God to your happiness, meaning in life, and identity, then it is an idol."


And that's only the introduction!

What in my life is more important to me than God?
Family?
Image?
Reputation?
Morality?

What is bringing meaning to my life other than God?
Friendships?
My social calendar?

Where do I seek "identity" from somewhere other than God?
My job?
My relationships?
Where I live?
What I wear?

If you're prepared to let God answer those questions, then join me in reading this book!

Please LORD reveal what in my heart displeases You and what You would like to renew.

No comments:

Post a Comment