Sunday, May 30, 2010

"S" Words

God has been putting a lot of “S” words on my heart lately. No, not the bad ones! I am approaching a season of Sabbath, or my time to Selah (stop, pause, listen, reflect) with the LORD. I will be home for about 6 weeks with no agenda, no work, no kids, just time. I have just felt Him stirring in me, asking me what I will be doing with my summer, what I am going to do with these “S” words.

Sufficiency
Do you know that your sufficiency is in God? The LORD will supply us the desire and ability through His grace to serve Him.
“Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant . . . “ (2 Corinthians 3:5-6)

Submit
Will you submit to what God is putting on your heart? Will you step in faith and obey?
“Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples . . .” (Exodus 19:5)

Serve
How and who will you be serving? Will you serve from an overflow and not compulsion?
“So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them . . .” (Romans 12:5-6)

Shepherd
Who will you be shepherding? Who will you commit to guiding and nurturing?
“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly” (1 Peter 5:2)

Sharpen
Who will you be sharpening/encouraging? Who will be sharpening you?
“Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17)

Study
What will you be reading? How will you grow in Truth, worship me with your heart and mind?
“And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” (Matthew 22:37)

Simplicity
In all of this, will you remember to keep the main thing, the main thing? Will you discern what God is putting on your heart and God alone? Will you remember to keep it simple this summer? Will you say “no” if you need to?
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:4-5)

I can easily overwhelm myself with the endless possibilities of how to seek Him and serve Him. I am trying to hear from the LORD, obey, but be sure to that I don’t “busy” away my time of rest, make sure that I’m serving out of an overflow. I can’t wait for my time of Selah to abide in my Savior, Sustainer, Strength, Source, and Song.

1 comment:

  1. Love these, great things to reflect on and implement, miss seeing you every morning

    ReplyDelete