Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Scripture 9

Our Redeemer

“In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace” (Ephesians 1:7)

I have been reading Ephesians 1 over and over these past few weeks. I just think it’s so rich of doctrine, theology, our identity, and our position in Christ. I am just trying to wrap my mind around it all! So I will continue to work through this scripture and will be trying to memorize through verse 7. I love verse 7!

One of my favorite ways to think of the LORD is as my Redeemer. I can remember growing up and people telling me “Do you know that Jesus died on the cross for you?” I can remember thinking “what does that have to do with me?” Then I watched the Passion of the Christ. Remember that scene when the women caught in adultery is about to be stoned? The scene shows her on the ground, shaking, her face is covered in dirt. She stretches out her hand and looks up, and Jesus is standing in front of her. He is defending her, rescuing her from physical death, and ultimately redeeming her. The rest of the movie you see this woman faithfully following Jesus. She is there every step of the way . . . faithful . . . loyal . . . to her Redeemer.

That is so powerful to me! She was filthy and about to be killed for her sinful behavior. Although I am not faced with a stoning, my sin has made me dirty and my penalty is death. For no other reason than love, Jesus stepped in, defended me, rescued me, and redeemed me. I pray that I respond like this woman . . . with faithfulness, loyalty, obedience, and gratitude to my Redeemer for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment