Sunday, August 15, 2010

Scripture 14

Be Imitators, Walk in Love
“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5:1-2)

I love how God’s word is not a mere rule book to “good” behavior, but a guide to changing our thinking, which renews our mind, then refines our hearts, which leads to changing our behavior. I really liked some of the exhortations Paul gives us in Ephesians 5. It’s not a just list of “do’s” and “don’ts”, but it’s full of admonitions to help us live in a way that would imitate God.

Do not be deceived by empty words (v.6), walk as children of light (v.8), try to discern what is pleasing to the LORD (v.10), look carefully as to how you walk, not as unwise but wise (v.15), give thanks always and for everything (v.20), and submit to one another out of reverence for Christ (v.21).

The LORD could give us a list of “good” behaviors and “bad" behaviors, He could simply say “don’t do this or that”. Instead, like the Good Shepherd he is, He leads us to think for ourselves, to consider, to try to discern, to look carefully, to figure out what is wise and unwise living.

So this week, as I meditate on Ephesians 5:1-2, I will ask the LORD to show me what it means to be an imitator of God, how I can better walk in love. I am asking Him for wisdom and discernment for my life, my choices, my relationships, etc. I will not simply try to do better at my life, but get to know the LORD better, the only One worthy of being imitated, the only One who can change me from the inside out.

What do you think it means to imitate God?

To walk in love?

To discern and be wise?

(Matthew 5-7, Romans 12, Exodus 20, Psalm 37, Micah 6:8, James 4:7-10, 1 Corinthians 13, Philippians 4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment