Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Scripture 16

Not by Bread Alone
“But he answered, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'” (Matthew 4:4)

In keeping with the theme of “food” (my last scripture memory verse) I thought this one was perfect! A few years ago when we were living in Pleasanton, our pastor taught through all of the Red Letters (Jesus’ words he spoke). I can remember his teaching on Matthew 4, on Satan tempting Jesus three times, and each time Jesus response to the temptation was “It is written . . .” Powerful. Jesus weapon against Satan and temptation was The Word.

My mind has been a battlefield lately. Each new school year I struggle with how hard teaching is, dealing with kids’ behavior, the baggage they bring to school each day, exhaustion, etc. Each year I question if this truly is the job for me, is this where God wants me? How can I be useful when I’m always tired, constantly doubting, overwhelmed, etc.

Reading through this chapter in Matthew I’m reminded that I can’t let my thoughts or the enemy’s temptation win. I have to look at what is “written”. What does His word say about how I am supposed to live for Him? His kingdom? How am I supposed to be during trials? What about all my grumbling!!?!?!!

If I am not daily nourishing myself with His word, I just won’t know how to see past my current set of circumstances. I am left to my own thoughts and/or listening to the lies of the enemy. I have to renew my mind daily with what God says about me, who I am in Him, what I am to do in the midst of these trials. I need to seek comfort from the God of all comfort, seek wisdom from the Wise Counselor, seek refuge in the shadow of His wings.

I am not going to live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103)

No comments:

Post a Comment