Monday, August 13, 2012

Cleaning the Junk Drawer

Praying this prayer is like cleaning out the junk drawer.

You need to do it.
You’re not sure what you’ll find.
It’s easier to keep it closed and pretend like it’s all okay.
You’ll find things in there you never knew you had.
In the end, you’ll have lots to throw away and you’ll feel better.

{Psalm 139:23-24}

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
 Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
 and lead me in the way everlasting! (ESV)

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
 test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
 and lead me along the path of everlasting life. (NLT)

Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about;
See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong— then guide me on the road to eternal life. (The Messge)


How often do you ask God to search your heart?
How often do you ask God to point things out in your thought life that offend him?
How often do you let God reveal things hidden in your junk drawer, only to straighten it out again?
How often do you go to God in repentance and humility asking Him to reveal sin you are unaware of?

How often do ask God to search you? Know you? Test you? Reveal you? Guide you? Forgive you?

Go now . . . the Good Shepherd is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment