Friday, December 28, 2012

When I Don't Understand God

{Scriptures to Meditate on When God Doesn't Make Sense}

Just when I feel like I've got everything under control, life is good, and it's all making sense, God comes along and reminds me . . .

I'm not in control
Life is unpredictable
God will never make sense

If I can figure out God, and keep Him in a box wrapped in a bow, than He is not God. He is not beyond me.

And there is something both terrifying and peaceful about that.

He is greater than my thoughts or understanding.
He is beyond circumstances.
He is still good, even when life doesn't feel good.

And it's a glorious confusion.
I am limited. He is limitless.


I cling to these verses as a reminder . . . that even when God does not make sense, He is still in control.

There is more to life than what is seen . . .
"16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

It is when I'm emptied of myself and broken, that He is near . . .
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3)

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)


He is beyond my understanding . . .
"8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)


Our hard is for HIS good . . .
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Trusting Him during confusion and pain . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment