Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trust & Heart

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

There are so many scriptures that reference the heart and trust in the LORD. I see that popular Proverb “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6). I wonder what it means, what it looks like to trust Him with ALL of your heart . . . and lean not on our own understanding.

I think it’s a tragedy today that so many of us get to the point of belief, and then stop. The rest of life-we try and figure out on our own. We come up with our explanation of what God wants for our lives without consulting Him. I think when we’re honest; we lean on our own understanding a lot more than we trust in Him. His word IS a guide for our lives, comfort when we hurt, answers to confusing questions, and instruction on living that leads to joy, peace, and love.

Let’s not just “memorize” scripture, but let’s learn it, take it and apply it to our lives. Let it minister to you, comfort you, encourage you. It is meant to transform your thinking, and give you roots that can grow deep so that your leaves will always be green-in every season. A season of joy and peace, or deep pain and suffering, you will not wither or die. When the heat comes, His purifying fire, you will not burn; you will stand strong and cling to what is good. I love this! I love knowing that it is His word that strengthens me, and I must guard my heart (Proverbs 4:23) with His word. I must not let my own thinking or understanding guide me, but His word. “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:1)

Do we go to Him with our fears, our questions, our worries, our doubts, or do we lean on our own understanding. Do we trust Him that He is truly working all things out for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpos (Romans 8:28)? It’s so comforting to know that even when I don’t make the right decisions, when I am unclear about something, when He is not answering a prayer I’ve prayed for years, when nothing makes sense, I can go to His word and remember He is working for the good. Ugh, even in ways I don’t understand. He is working for the good.

That’s why I think His word is such a treasure!! He doesn’t want us just to be saved FROM something, but saved TO something! There is death AND resurrection! A new life! A new way of thinking! We can take off the old and put on the new! “I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.” Jeremiah 24:7

Let us be pure in heart (Matthew 5) as we pursue this journey in life. Let us be free to love Him with all our heart, soul, and mind. (Matthew 22:37) Let’s drink from His river of delights (Psalm 36) and rest in what He has done for us and what He is doing in us and through us. Let our hearts be pure and our trust be in the LORD.

“But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.” (Luke 8:15)

I have been praying that our hearts would be “good soil” that His word would be able to grow in our hearts. I hope that when we read and hear His word it will be with an honest and good heart. That we would not simply hear it, but that it would take root and regenerate us, and increase our TRUST in Him.

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” (Proverbs 4:23)

“Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart”. (Psalm 37:4)

Let’s delight in Him, trust in Him, and purify our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment