Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wild Olive Trees

I woke up this morning with a marvelous idea! I opened up the window in our bedroom which looks out to our backyard, directly to the beautiful olive tree in the corner. Santino loves olive trees, I think because he’s Italian. It reminded me of the scripture we were just reading during our morning bible study from Romans 11.

“For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?” (Romans 11:24)

I immediately jumped up (which I almost never do first thing on Saturday mornings) and said “Santino, I have an idea!”. At which he inevitably responds “oh no” (that’s his typical first response to all of my “ideas”). I emphatically said “I am going to start a blog . . .”

What does this have to do with “Wild Olive”?
This olive tree reminded me of how I used to be “by nature a wild olive tree” and I am now a cultivated olive tree. The LORD has pruned me, shaped me, and redeemed me from my wilderness. My hope is that we would allow our gardener to prune us, shape us, redeem us, and tend to us through His word and His love. That is my hope for this blog, that we would grow intimately with our Heavenly Father, the Gardener (John 15).

I have been grafted into God’s orchard, His tree, and I pray that my roots will grow deep down in Him (Colossians 2:7). I know that we get strong roots by being planted near streams of water (Psalm 1:3), living water (John 4:10), the washing and renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2), by meditating on His word and keeping it in our heart (Psalm 119). I know that with knowledge comes understanding and that the LORD says He is seeking those who worship in “Spirit and TRUTH” (John 4:23-24).

Which leads to the real jewel of the “great idea” . . .

Scripture Memory Team
I was reading on Beth Moore’s blog about how they started a scripture memory team. I wanted to participate in the 2010 year, and found out she will not be doing this year. She encouraged women to get a group together and do it anyway. So that’s my idea! I want to start this blog with the intent of connecting with more women, through scripture and prayer! Three of my favorite things: the Word of God, People, and Prayer!!!!

So here’s the plan . . . we will memorize a new scripture on the 1st and 15th of each month, starting in February. I will post the scripture that I will be memorizing, and you all can do the same!!! You can post the scripture you’ll be memorizing or use the same scripture I’ll be memorizing.
So if you’re interested in participating in the Scripture Memory Team please sign up as a follower and send this link to anyone else you think would want to grow their roots deep down into Him!

I am excited to grow with you, to learn with you, and to see what God will do in us and through us! Even if you don’t want to memorize with us, I hope you’ll still visit the site and share what’s going on in your life!


So, check back on February 1st for our first scripture. Until then, I will be praying for each of you. Let Him cultivate you . . .

Love,
Melissa

1 comment: