Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Confront & Confess

Oh my . . . I was hit with something today. Well actually it’s been lingering for a few weeks. Thanks to God’s word (and Chuck Swindoll’s teaching), the Lord brought to a light a sin that was in need of confession and repentance.

2 Samuel 12 is when Nathan goes to David nearly 12 months after his adultery with Bathsheba, and murder of Uriah. Nathan confronts David about the sin he had been hiding in his heart. David’s response was confession and repentance.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend nearly 3 years ago. It had recently come back up and the Holy Spirit had been pressing on me to confess and repent, and seek forgiveness. I have been haunted by this conversation, and honestly, just haven’t had the courage to confess. I’m not even sure if my friend remembers it, but I do. This message reminded me that the longer I make excuses for not making things right, the more distant I become from my Heavenly Father and closer the Accuser gets to me.

This is a humiliating, embarrassing, shameful place to be. You have to go to that person, confess your sin, and seek their forgiveness. It’s also a lonely place to be when you keep that sin to yourself. However, there is freedom in His forgiveness, there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1) and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

I have been confronted by the Holy Spirit, now it’s time to confess . . .

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah

I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD, "and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

Psalm 32:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment