Saturday, June 25, 2011

Indulgence or Purpose

In Ecclesiastes 2, the author (presumably Solomon) says self indulgence is like chasing after wind.

And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11)

Remember Solomon? Son of David, wisest man that ever lived, King of Israel, built the temple, rich, 700 wives, 300 concubines . . . if anyone gave into desires of his own heart, experienced self indulgence to the fullest, wouldn’t it be Solomon? He gave into every desire and pleasure he had. I trust his experience and reflection here! He says there’s nothing to be gained from this type of life style, it’s all vanity.

So why do we believe that lie from that Carl’s Jr. commercial? “If it feels good, do it. If it tastes good, eat it.” Here Solomon is teaching us that these things leave us empty, chasing after wind.

So why do we believe the lie to “follow our hearts”, “do what makes you happy”, etc? WHY? Time after time we see in scripture, and quite honestly in our own lives, that these things never satisfy. They leave us feeling empty . . . yet we don’t learn. We keep chasing after wind.

I don’t want to live my life in vain . . . I want to live with purpose. I want to live and be satisfied, not indulge and be left empty.

Satisfied BY Him and IN Him alone.

“Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” (John 8:35)

No comments:

Post a Comment