Thursday, June 30, 2011

Seasons

Reading through Ecclesiastes might not be the BEST thing right now, but I’m learning so much. The tone is so cynical and depressing. I’ve decided I’m going to read Philippians immediately after . . . much more joyful!

I’m taking comfort in the truth of chapter 3 today . . . seasons.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. (v.1-8)

No trial or experience we go through is in vain. Solomon will tell us we all will die anyway, so just enjoy life now before it’s too late. While there is truth in that, there is also purpose for what we go through on this earth-the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The joy and the struggle of following Christ is learning to rely on myself less, and Him more. Surrendering my plans, my preferences, my agenda, my will . . . for His.

Forsaking man made bread to feast on Bread of Life.


Letting go of me and clinging to Him.

So there are seasons when I’m far away and seasons I draw near.
Seasons I stray and seasons I am in step.
Seasons when things are constant and seasons of change.
Seasons of pain and seasons of praise.
Seasons of wandering and seasons of living in the promised land.


Whatever season I am in doesn’t change who God is. He is still a Good Shepherd who nurtures and disciplines His sheep. He is still a loving Father who has adopted me into His kingdom and lavished His grace upon me (Ephesians 1:7-8). He is still the God who wrote Romans 8:28 “and we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”

So whether we’re in a season of pain or pleasure, a season we can see clearly or a season of fog, a season we are to move or a season we are to remain, we trust He is good (even when it doesn’t feel “good”) and know that He is sovereign, in control, and steady.

I can rest and be satisfied in that.

“Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.” (John 4:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment