Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Filth

“There are those who are clean in their own eyes, 
but are not washed of their filth.” (Proverbs 30:12)

There are those who are clean in their own eyes . . .
“I’m a good person.”
“I go to church.”
“I give.”
“I pray.”
“I read.”
“I do community service.”
“I haven’t done _____.”
“I’m not as bad as ______.”
“I believe what I believe.”
“I.”

“I.”

“I.”

“I.”

but are not washed of their filth.

Our pride makes us feel clean. The way we view ourselves makes us feel holy. We forget, it’s not our standard of cleanliness we compare to. We compare to His Holiness.

Nothing we do makes us clean. In fact, it makes us filthier. The “doing” makes us dirty.

We can’t be clean until we recognize our filth.

There is only One that can cleanse. One healing balm, one cleansing flow. The blood of the Lamb.

I am filthy . . . thankful to be clean.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:3)

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)

“But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)

“Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:8-10)

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.” (1 John 1:9-10)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I have you in my life to remind me that my life should always point to Him!

    ReplyDelete