Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Way He Sees

"And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." (Matthew 9:35-38)

Harassed
-To disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
-To trouble by repeated attacks.

Helpless
-Unable to help oneself; weak or dependent.
-Deprived of strength or power; powerless; incapacitated.

Sheep without a Shepherd
Sheep cannot help themselves. If they fall over, they usually die because they can’t figure out how to stand back up. With no shepherd guiding them to green pastures, they will eat anything in front of them, even if it’s bad for them, filled with thorns or thistles. They will wander and stray without the gentle protection and guidance of the shepherd. Apart from the flock, they are vulnerable to attack, even death.

Jesus sees the crowd as harassed, helpless, and sheep without a shepherd. We are to do the same. We are to see others through Christ’s eyes, to remember that we too were once sheep with out a shepherd. We were helpless. He is our helper. We have all gone astray, He brought us back.

Shepherd
-A person who protects, guides, or watches over a person or group of people.
-A protector, guardian, defender, keeper.

He is our shepherd. The Good Shepherd. Let us point lost sheep to Him.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment