Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What Would You Ask For?

Santino and I are reading through 1 Kings together. In Chapter 3, the LORD appears to Solomon in a dream and says "Ask what I shall give you." (v.5). God basically tells Solomon to ask for anything and the LORD will give it to him.

Before Solomon even asks for anything, he responds to the LORD with reverence, praise, thanksgiving, and humility. (*See 1 Kings 3:6-8)

After exalting the LORD and humbling himself, Solomon asks. And what does he ask for? An easy life? No suffering? Power? Celebrity? Health? Wealth? Prosperity?

“Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?" (v.9)

He asks for wisdom and discernment.

What would you ask for?
Would you ask for wisdom and discernment like Solomon? Or ask like Paul in all of his chapter 1 prayers for knowledge, wisdom, love, and faith?

Jesus tells us in Matthew 7:7 to ask. Ask and it will be given to you. “Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.” (John 16:23)

The LORD will answer, if we ask according to His will.

The LORD answers Solomon. And guess what? The LORD also blesses him with all that he didn’t ask for too.

“It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. And God said to him, Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days." (v.10-14)

The LORD has given us permission to ask freely. What would you ask for?

Go ahead and ask.

“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think . . . to him be the glory . . .” (Ephesians 3:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment