Monday, May 14, 2012

My Prayer Request-Why Not This?

When people ask me "How can I be praying for you?" I'm usually caught off guard. And I begin seeking my selfish heart and start requesting things that I want, need, desire, etc.

But as I learn more and more about God's word, I see things different. A couple of years ago, I studied Paul's prayers in his letters. You know what I noticed? Most of his prayers were not selfish things, but things that would help others know or grow in Christ. He asked for their love and understanding to deepen, for people to be saved, for knowledge and wisdom, for contentment in suffering, etc.

So I thought . . . if I could ask one thing of the LORD, why not let it be this:

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison—that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." (Colossians 4:2-6)


Why not ask people to pray for these things?

Thankful heart.
Open doors.
Clarity and courage to proclaim Him.
Using my time wisely.
Gracious speech.
Wisdom.


Can you think of anything better to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment