Monday, May 21, 2012

Loving the Word

{Why we as Christians should love the Word the most}

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14


The Word was God.
The Word put on flesh and dwelt among us.

Spending time in the Word is the closest thing we have to spending time with Jesus himself. Talking with Him, chatting with Him, sitting with Him over a cup of coffee. God daily invites us to sit with Him, learn from Him, learn about Him, be comforted by Him, challenged by Him, loved by Him.

Just as with any relationship, we can't expect depth and intimacy without time. Time spent sitting with the other person, listening, learning, talking.

I think of my relationship with my father. Can you imagine if I went weeks running errands for him, doing chores around the house, getting my school work done, all the things a child should "do" . . . without ever talking with him? I wouldn't expect a deep relationship with my dad, the kind where I could cuddle up on his lap and he would read to me. And that's what I want! That's what he wants. A daughter who obeys out of delight and love for him. A daughter who talks to her daddy, who loves to listen to his wisdom, walk with him, hug him, and learn from him.

Or I think of my marriage. I can't tell you the number of times I'm cleaning, or organizing something, or folding laundry, or whatever to serve my husband and he says "Will you just come over here and sit with me?". He is thankful for all I'm doing, but really just wants me to be with him.

Intimacy in a relationship isn't developed in doing for, it's developed in being with.

Being still.
Being with.
Being present.

So it is with our Lord. We are not designed to go weeks, months, etc without communing with the Father, without talking with Jesus, without reading the Word. We are designed for intimacy, relationship, and fellowship with the LORD. He beckons us daily.

So do you accept the invitation? To sit with the Word? To sit with the Lord? To connect with Him?

"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." (John 15:7-8)

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103)

"The law of the Lord is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure,
making wise the simple;
the precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the Lord is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules of the Lord are true,
and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:7-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment