Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Different Kind of Valentine's Day

Oh Valentine's Day . . . the holiday of love. A day to celebrate that special someone in your life. A day to rekindle flames, honor vows, and spend way too much money on stuffed animals and chocolate.

But today . . . I'm thinking of Valentine's day a little differently. Not to put a dark cloud around a bright day, but I'm thinking of those who don't really have much to celebrate today.

If you do, that's great! I do! I have a wonderful husband, who spurs me on to love Christ in a deeper way, who loves me, who makes me laugh, and provides for me beyond anything I could imagine, and I am celebrating that. I know God wants us to enjoy the life he's given us to the fullest, so this is not to rain on your parade or make you feel guilty for enjoying the blessings God has given you. You absolutely should delight in the gifts from The Giver.

However, this Valentine's day there are some people heavy on my heart that won't be celebrating so much. For them, today is just a painful reminder of what used to be or what they wish it would be.

I'm thinking of my mom, a widow, who will be missing my dad today.

Grandma Ida who will be spending her first Valentine's Day without Grandpa Frank in nearly 60 years.

My friend who just became a single mom because her husband up and left her and their 3 children, with no notice.

Or my single friends, who follow hard after Christ, who will be hoping for God to hear the cry of their hearts soon.

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." (Romans 12:15)

For some today is a day of rejoicing, for others a day of weeping. If you are one who gets to enjoy today to the fullest, then by all means rejoice! But please don't forget those who are weeping.

Who can you encourage today?
Who do you know that is spending Valentine's day alone?


As I was praying for those who are weeping today, God kept bringing to mind 3 words:

In
Christ
Alone


Even if we are celebrating with someone or without, there is only One who loves without condition, who will never leave you or forsake you, only One who can "complete you". While I celebrate my husband today, I also remember the greatest Lover of all . . . the one who overcame the cross and grave to find my soul*.

The One who "heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)

If today, you have something to celebrate, celebrate! Rejoice! Give thanks! Respond in love!

If today, you have wounds and heartache . . . would you run to the One who heals?

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)


*"Till I See You" by Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment