Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Story: Part 2

{My experience with life, death, and Jesus}
My Story: Part 1

Fall of 2002.
I was in my 3rd year of college, taking 25 units in one semester because I wanted to spend the next semester studying (okay partying) in Spain. I was living the life, going to school, working at a restaurant, going out at night, etc. Life was good . . . fun . . . livin’ in the moment.

I was home one evening with my little sister, waiting for my dad to get home. My parents were in Stockton, visiting my grandma who was recovering from surgery. My dad was on his way home, but it was late, so I went to bed. I was laying in bed when I sat up, and gasped for air. It felt like my heart dropped or something.

A few minutes later I heard a knock at the door. It was a man I didn’t recognize, so I yelled at my sister to go get the door, thinking it was one of her friends. After a few minutes passed and I realized the guy hadn’t left, I went down stairs. The guy was asking us in broken English if he could come in because something had happened.

He told us my dad had pulled over on the freeway, had heart attack and died.

We we’re so confused.

I called my dad, to tell him some weird guy was at our house telling us he had died, but my dad didn’t answer. I called my mom and told her. She called the police, and they said they’d send someone out to her right away. We knew what that meant. And they arrived and confirmed what the man at my house was telling us. My dad had died. Right there on the side of the road.

Just.like.that.

That was it . . . one last breath, one last heart beat. His life was over.

How could that be? So suddenly, without warning, without preparing . . . so young, so soon, so unexpected. That was so hard to understand, to feel, to experience.

I remember feeling immediately like I had absolutely no control over my life. Here I was planning out my future, off to another country next semester, and everything unraveled in just seconds.

If I wasn’t in control of my future, or when I would take my last breath, then who was?

And this was when I realized there has to be something more out there, answers to questions, someone/something in control, but who? What?

No comments:

Post a Comment