Friday, February 17, 2012

From None to Some

"For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." (1 Timothy 4:8)

I have long used this verse to support my choice over reading the Bible rather than exercising. Or just not making exercise a priority in my life. When it comes to exercising and a choice over something else, I pretty much choose the "something else" 9 times out of 10. I thought once I stopped teaching I'd have more time and energy and I'd exercise regularly. Well I haven't. It was time and energy I needed, it was motivation and accountability.

I have suffered from headaches since I was a little girl. And more recently chronic pain in my neck and back. A friend told me (after visiting Stanford and UCSF for her chronic pain and headaches) that moderate exercise is important because it produces endorphins (your body's natural pain killer). The thought of no more pain and headaches=MOTIVATION!

I also love to walk. I love to meet with ladies and talk about life. Why not combine the two? Have a walking partner, that I can connect with, talk with, that can spur me on! A good friend as your walking buddy=ACCOUNTABILITY!

So, after some repentance and much needed accountability, I am back to exercising (moderately, but consistently).

I have come to a place where I realize a little word in this verse.

Some.

It doesn't say exercise has no value. It doesn't say it's the most important thing. It says some. So I appreciate new lessons in God's word. It is of some value, but not be held higher than godliness. I'll exercise moderately and consistently, but the godliness, that I'd like to do whole-heartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment