Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Prayer Place

Last Wednesday, I wrote about one of the rhythms I've gotten into the past few years in my time with the LORD which has sustained me and led me into worship.

Saturday Mornings

I spend Saturday mornings with the LORD, studying His word, worshipping, writing, and praying. It has been the sweetest, most sustaining time I have with the Father. I look forward to it, protect it, enjoy it, glean from it, and delight in it.

Being in His word without a time limit is a gift! I know that this is a season of life where I can enter into fellowship with the Father often, and I try to take advantage of that as much as possible. When I was teaching full-time and involved in other ministry things 2-3 nights a week, I didn't have hours everyday to spend studying. So this was a habit I developed and Saturday mornings with Jesus have sustained me, filled me, and led me into adoration and worship of our King!

Another thing that leads me into worship is prayer. I love going before the Throne of Grace and seeking the LORD. Once or twice a week, I have a real intentional prayer time. I have a prayer place in my house. It's in my guest bedroom, by the side of the bed. I lay out comfy pillows to kneel on, I stack up requests that people have sent me, and I leave out cards of recent weddings or birth announcements. I leave a bible out and open to the Psalms. I read through a psalm or two before I pray to help guide me and enter into His presence through worship and adoration.

I don't write all of this to sound pious, but to just offer some insight into things that have helped me love and worship the LORD with more of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. I just can't get into the "morning devotional" routine, 2 minutes of prayer while driving to work feels like I check a box more than I seek the LORD, and I just don't feel fulfilled when I spend time with the LORD like that. These are just practical ways I spend time with the Father, and hopefully someone will find them helpful!

If you're like me, your "prayer place" can be the hardest place to get to. So I pray throughout the day, I talk to God often, I think about Him all the time . . . and I seek Him intentionally, in my prayer place, 1-2 times a week.

I wrote a post on prayer awhile back on why getting to our prayer place can be so hard and shared some practical tips on how to overcome prayerlessness. You can read it here: Prayer

What are some things that help you when it comes to prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment