Monday, February 27, 2012

Meek Shall Inherit

My Journey Through the Sermon on the Mount

{Matthew 5:1-5}
"Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”

In the first 3 beatitudes Jesus is saying in order to enter into the Kingdom, to be comforted, to inherit the earth, we must:
Recognize our nothingness (poor in spirit)
Grieve over our sin (mourn)
Having a humble, teachable heart (meekness)

According to my study resources, meekness or humility here is not just referring to a person’s outward behaviors or relations with fellow men. It’s referring to a mere natural disposition.

It is an inwrought grace of the soul; and the exercises of it are first and chiefly towards God.

It is that temper of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting.

It is having a humble heart towards God, one that does not contend or struggle with Him.


I think meekness is coming to that understanding of “You are God, and I am not.”

Trusting that what He says in His word is true and the circumstances He puts us through are for His good.

Easier said than done.

But really, when you think about it … if He is the Creator of all, the One who has the power to give me life and take it away, and He is sovereign and in control, than why do I struggle so much to trust?

Why am I not meek and humble when I think of my God who is all powerful?

Why do I know bow low and accept all that He places in my life because He.is.God. ?

Why do I look to other things instead of His word to guide me?

Do I truly accept His dealings with me as good? Without disputing?

Yikes.
Gulp.

If I’m honest, there are somethings that I DO NOT accept as good, and I do more than dispute . . . I grumble!

Perhaps that’s why over and over again in His word, you see God reminding us that it’s the humble, the meek, who get the reward.

“But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” (James 4:6)

“Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he gives favor." (Proverbs 3:34)

“For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation.” (Psalm 149:4)


Father forgive me for my prideful attitude! I rejoice in what You’ve done for me and for who You are. Help me to become meek, so that I may trust you more and delight in all of your dealings with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment