Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Practical Tip Tuesday: Saving $$ & Time

I mentioned last Tuesday that the issue of stewardship has been on my heart and mind a lot lately. Which led us as a family to participate in the March Money Experiment. Which is really no experiment except cutting our spending and dining out less (okay fine and also no unnecessary trips to Target :-)

But the issue of stewardship isn't just money or finances. Though that's part of it.

Stewardship has to do with how you manage your time, talent, and treasure.

So upon more reflection, I thought about my time a lot this past week.

My husband got me a new phone in January. I have the world at my fingertips! I downloaded some of my favorite apps (Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest) and couldn't believe the quick access! It was so fun!

Until I realized how much time I spent on these apps. Every free second I'd have at a stop light, in line at the grocery store, at home during commercials, etc. I'd check Facebook or Pinterest. I realized that I have spent so much more time pinning/looking for new crafts than actually crafting or cooking!

So what was meant to be good and fun is now addictive and a huge source of wasted time.

I thought about these few minutes here and there throughout the day and how they can be better spent. So I deleted my Facebook and Pinterest app and decided "What if every few free minutes I have instead of checking these websites, I opened my bible app? Or my kindle app and read some of my book?

What a better way to fill my mind with thoughts about the LORD, rather than lust after a cute new outfit that I can't afford! (Dang, that rhymes!)

So, in an effort to be a better steward of my time, I've said no to Pinterest and yes to Proverbs! Hee hee

Oh and an update on the finance side of my stewardship issue: March Money Experiment.

{Just a few savings tips I've tried this past week.}

Tip #1) Homemade instead of store bought. We eat cliff bars every morning for breakfast. We buy them at Costco and with both of us eating them it averages out to about $60 a month on just cliff bars. A friend showed me this recipe (off of Pinterest hee hee) and we love it! (Click on the title and it will link you to the recipe.)

Total savings: About $40 a month. All supplies cost less than $20. I make a new batch on Sunday evenings to last throughout the week.

Granola Bars


It's got me thinking . . . what else do I "buy" that I could make at home instead??? Hmmm . . .

Tip #2) Don't buy junk, extras, goodies, non-essentials. No couponing tips here for how to buy 2 packs of ____ (insert an item you don't need) for $5. Just don't buy things you don't need!! Ha! What's better than getting 2 things for $5? Not spending $5! For us, this means no Moosetracks Ice Cream, no cheese-its, no pretzel mixes. Just bought what we need for this week (breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner) and this was our grocery bill!


(Yes, we will eat lots of left overs! And remember this is just to feed a family of 2, one of whom is a vegetarian-which automatically saves you a bunch of $$$).

Total Savings: About $50 from last week's grocery bill.

So what do you think? You want to experiment with me?? Can you go a month buying only what you need? Spending less? Do you have any money saving tips to share??

1 comment:

  1. I just got home from Costco. I spent $47. I got 6 items. Mushrooms, peppers, pineapple, blackberries, crackers, and baby wipes. Ah geez. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete