Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Worship Through the Noise

My friend recently had to go through some pretty serious medical testing. She had to have an MRI. You know the test where you have to lay in a tunnel completely still for 30 minutes?



Afterward, I asked her how it went. And her response was something like "It was good. Loud, but good. I got to worship Jesus the whole time."

Loud, noisy, scary . . . and yet worshipping.

I told her "well if that isn't the title of a blog post, I don't know what it is!"

In a time of life when a test result determines next steps, in a time when it's loud and noisy, she worships.

How much of your life is loud?
How much of your life is filled with noise?
How much of your life is scary?
How much of your life is waiting on the unknown?

I feel like we spend all of our lives trying to quiet everything down, get things in order, get rid of fear, SO THEN then we can worship. If all of our ducks are in a row, THEN we'll have time to seek the LORD and walk in His ways.

I don't know about you, but I can never get through my to-do list, my head is always loud and noisy, and sometimes I walk in fear. What if ___ happens?
What if ___ never happens?

If I wait until all is quiet to worship, I may never worship.
Which is why I don't think God always straightens everything out for us all of the time. He wants us to worship anyway. He wants us to worship through the pain AND through the joy; through the still and through the storm. He wants us to delight in Him, to learn to rejoice in Him in ALL circumstances.

I don't know your circumstances. But I bet if you're on earth, and you have breath in your lungs, there is some sort of noise or pain you're walking through. Would you worship Him anyway?

Even when you may want to do this:


Or this:



Or even this:


Would you do this instead?



Just kidding! She looks a bit senile or delirious, but you get the point. Maybe it should look more like this:


Don't wait for all to be calm, quiet, and tidy . . . worship through the loud, the noise, the fear, the mess, the unknown. He'll meet you wherever you're at.


P.S. If you're a praying person. . . you can be praying for this friend of mine. She (and her daughter) were diagnosed with HHT and has surgery on Monday April 9th. But don't worry, knowing her, she'll just be resting in the arms of her Maker, delighting in the One who gives her breath and life. Pray anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment