Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Strange Women: Godly Examples

I read this quote last week and it got me thinking . . .

"Go to church once a week and nobody pays attention. Worship God seven days a week and you become strange!" -AW Tozer.

Would I be considered strange?

This reminded me of a post I wrote a few years ago. It was about women in the bible who were godly examples to me. Women who were probably considered "strange" because of how they worshipped God. They were devoted, Kingdom-minded, servant-hearted, God-fearing, Christ-following women who have inspired me to worship the LORD in a deeper way.

(From the archives):
“Soon afterward Jesus began a tour of the nearby towns and villages, preaching and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom of God. He took his twelve disciples with him, along with some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases.” (Luke 8:1-2)

One day I was reading through the Gospel of Luke and got to Chapter 8, subtitled “Women Who Followed Jesus”. Sounds like nothing except for some reason it just really jumped out at me how the “group of women” was listed separate from the disciples. I was so amazed by this, why were they listed separate? It immediately challenged me to look at Jesus’ ministry with women, and most of all how we we’re different! And oh, what a treasure I found!

I was so encouraged by how women in the bible “followed Jesus”. Some of these women became great Godly examples to me, their immediate response to salvation, or their faithfulness and loyalty to our LORD. I even looked back to Old Testament women, learned from them, was encouraged and challenged. That’s why these women are heroes of the Bible in my eyes-their example has taught me so much about how to pursue my relationship with the LORD.

Mary (Luke 1:26-55)-She rejoiced in the LORD for her gift, even though she knew people would not understand, slander/shame her, she kept her eyes on the LORD and not what others might think or say.
-From her I learned THANKSGIVING and PRAISE even when we don’t understand our circumstances.

Anna (Luke 2:36-38)-She worshiped with fasting and prayer night and day. She recognized Jesus as Messiah when He was just a baby and began praising God for Him and telling others about Him.
-From her I learned DEVOTION.

Mary Magdalene (Luke 8:2)-he healed her from 7 demons, the rest of her life she followed him. She was the first one to see Him after His resurrection!
-From her I learned FAITHFULNESS.

Sinful Woman (Luke 7:36-39)-she anointed Jesus’ feet with expensive ointment, and washed them with her tears.
-From her I learned REVERANCE and WORSHIP-it may cost us much to worship, but it is worth it.

Mary of Bethany (Luke 10:38-42)-she chose to sit at Jesus feet and listen to him teach, to rest, to abide, rather than fill her days with busyness.
-From her I learned to ABIDE, to rest in Him, to take time to listen and fellowship with the LORD.

The Persistent Widow (Luke 18:1-2)-she continued asking the judge for justice and it was granted.
-From her I learned PERSISTANCE in prayer.

The Widow and Her Coins (Luke 21:1-4)-she offered little, but the sacrifice was great. She trusted God would provide.
-From her I learned FAITH and TRUST

Ruth (Ruth 2:2-3)-she worked hard and gleaned each day
-From her I learned the value of HARD WORK-study, read, glean.

The Woman at the Well (John 4:28-29)-she was scandalous, but once she realized who the Messiah was, she left everything and ran to tell people about Him.
-From her I learned EVANGELISM-you don’t have to have everything figured out before you can tell people about our Savior.

These women have been such an encouragement to me. They were not philosophers or leaders of nations (in fact some of them didn’t even have their names mentioned). They were simple. They were simple in faith and faithfulness, yet their stories are so profound they’re recorded in scripture. They are my examples, my heroes. I pray that we would learn from these women, respond to the LORD the way they did, with loyalty, devotion, reverence, faithfulness, and love.


So again I wonder . . . If my story were recorded in history, would I seem strange because of my love for the LORD? Would my story stand out because I stood up for Christ? I hope so, and I'm grateful to have women like this recorded in history who challenge me to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment