Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When Laundry Leads to Worship

Yesterday, I took a walk around my neighborhood. One of my favorite things to do when I walk is listen to a sermon and enjoy the LORD outdoors! Getting my eyes to see Him in creation, my heart to soften in His presence, and my mind to be renewed by His truth.

So I did just that. Lately the sermons I've been listening to are from Pastor Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill Church in Seattle. He's been teaching through his recently published book "Real Marriage".

Yesterday's topic was heavy. It was on sexual assault. He was talking about how Jesus can not only cleanse you from sin that you've committed, but also sin committed against you.

He spent time talking about the color white and it's symbolism in the bible. In the Old Testament, they'd wear white after their sins have been atoned for. In the book of Revelation, we will be clothed in white as the bride of Christ.

He continued to remind us that Jesus cleanses us through His blood and washes us white as snow. Cleansed. Purified. Justified.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

Not only does the LORD forgive us, he makes us clean. He reminded us that this is so important for people to understand. This is the whole gospel! It's not just forgiveness of sin (they've committed or that have been committed against them) but being cleansed of our guilt and shame as well!

He encouraged all of us as we are doing laundry, as we are washing and cleansing our clothes, to remember . . . Jesus cleanses US from our sin. He cleanses us from guilt and shame. He asked to remember as we pull our clothes out of the washer and see them white and new, would we remember the blood of Jesus and what He has done for you.

So, will you join me in that this week? As I wash my dirty clothes, I'll remember the One who makes me clean. And worship Him in sprit and in truth, with gratitude and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment