Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saturdays are for Seeing

{What do I justify and where do I need Him to purify?}

Are you thankful for good friends who ask good questions? Do you have people in your life that encourage you, challenge you, equip you?

This week my friend asked a question that absolutely wrecked me:

"Are there any areas in your life that you justify are fine because other believers participate in it?"

"Where have you been desensitized to absolute purity in Christ?"


And about 1,000 things popped into my mind.

There are lots of things I participate in because others do. They may be fun, but are they glorifying to God?

In my attempt to being "culturally engaged" am I really just making provisions for the flesh?

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." (Romans 13:14)

Where am I gratifying my flesh rather than walking in the Spirit?

Am I more quick to speak of the last episode of The Bachelor than I am Christ and His Kingdom?

Am I more eager to tell others of my latest find on Pinterest than I am what God is doing in my life?

Where am I justifying indulgence instead of purity?


I'm thankful for a friend who asks such gut-wrenching, soul-searching, heart-bearing questions. I had much to repent of that day and much to consider.

I am also thankful that God loves His children so much He won't allow us to "justify" our sinful behavior for long. He will send us friends, like Nathan was David, to open our eyes, see our blind spots, and repent.

That's speaking truth in love.
That's iron sharpening iron.

Asking hard questions that help you see yourself before a Holy God, lead you to repentance, and worship Him all the more.

So my questions for you . . .

Who speaks into your life?
What do you justify?


Though the friend's words may pierce and the Refiner's fire may feel hot, it's the only way to live in pursuit of righteousness.

Will you spend time this Saturday before the LORD, asking Him to help you see? To see your sin? Where you justify? Where you need Him to purify? And repent and pursue righteousness with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment